How Magazines Stimulate Newsstand Sales: "Only 35 percent of the magazines offered for sale on newsstands last year were actually sold, leaving 65 percent of the millions printed destined not for the coffee table but for the industrial shredders and pulpers of the magazine wholesalers. That sell-through rate has been steadily declining over the decades: in 1973, 65 percent of newsstand magazines sold, while 48 percent of them sold in 1988, according to the Magazine Publishers of America." <via xblog>